The Ely Southern Bypass is a new road connecting the A142 at Angel Drove to Stuntney Causeway and includes a 1.7 km long single carriageway road including a viaduct crossing the Great Ouse and bridges over two railway lines.
The area around Ely station is currently heavily congested with lorries and other larger vehicles not able to use the low underpass. The bypass will divert lorries and through traffic away from the railway crossing relieving these problems. The proposed bypass will ease congestion in Ely, reduce the need for traffic to pass the railway station and allow the level crossing to be closed.
This project is being under taken by VolkerFitzpatrick on behalf of the Cambridgeshire County Council.
Sword was awarded a sub-contract by VolkerFitzpatrick since June 2017, on the construction of both the Rail Bridge and River Ouse Viaduct. Our works include:-
- Provision of labour
- Provision of plant
- Provision of and installation of Edge Protection and Scaffolding
- Temporary works design and materials
- Installation of Insitu Reinforced Concrete and permanent works materials
- Installation of permanent Formwork
- The river crossing including three V-shaped reinforced concrete piers, two reinforced concrete leaf piers and two full-height reinforced concrete abutments.
- The rail crossing requiring work to be carried out on the bridge deck above the rail tracks and electrical apparatus below.