The A1 Leeming to Barton Improvement Scheme, a £400 million Highways England Project to improve safety and journey time reliability between London and Newcastle.
This project to replace the existing 12 mile dual carriageway with a new three lane motorway, also included the construction of 10 new bridges, 4 modified bridges and provision of new local access roads alongside the new motorway, improving safety for local traffic from the surrounding communities.
Sword were involved on the project under contract to the Main Contractor Morgan Sindall from August 2014 to August 2017 our RFC works including:
- Constructing 7 large Overbridges
- Constructing 3 Underbridges
- Refurbishment/modification 4 existing bridge structures
- Refurbishment/Thickening 1 existing culvert
- 1200m of concrete track road access
- 250m of reinforced concrete environmental barrier bases
- Head wall construction
- 800m of reinforced concrete protection slab over water pipe