This project was for the construction of a new 1700MWe gas-fired power station for RWE NPower.
The largest gas fired station in Western Europe at the time.
Sword were involved with several sub-contracts on the site including
- Initial site establishment ( Main Contractor – Kier Construction);
- Construction of the four power islands and associated works (Main Contractor -Laing O’Rourke)
- Balance of plant and infrastructure (Main Contractor – Alstom)
Sword started on the project in March 2008, completing their final works in November 2011. Works including:-
- Excavation, ducts and drawpits
- Construction of:-
- Cooling tower and pump chamber
- Chemical dosing buildings
- Fuel Gas Treatment Area and Intake Area
- Fuel Oil offload
- Fuel oil Storage Area
- Oily Water System
- Pipe Sleepers and Pipe rack Foundations
- Site earthing
- Surface Water Drainage System
The project involved approx. 1m man hours.